Some report that the first English translation had just been released of the motivation report, the written opinion of judges and jury released March 4, to put Amanda Knox behind bars. Also, her rebuttal summary to the motivation for her appeal is now in English too.

Amanda Knox motivation document 'first English translation?'

Attached is motivation translation & Knox's rebuttals to motivation document, both in English

It has just been reported by at least two major Seattle media outlets that the 427-page motivation document issued March 4 in Italian, called the "(Judge) Massei Report" regarding the murder case of Meredith Kercher in Perugia, Italy, and West Seattle UW student Amanda Knox's involvement in the murder, has been for the first time translated in English by a team of of people on an international blog.

The Massei Report, authored by Judge Giancarlo Massei and Assistant Judge Beatrice Cristiani, explains the motivation of the judges and jury for their guilty verdicts of Knox, her boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito. and career burglar, Rudy Guede.

UPDATE: We now have links to both their English translation of the motivation and an English translation of Amanda Knox's rebuttal to that motivation document.

While the West Seattle Herald acknowledges the translation as one English translation, we are currently looking into the validity of that blog's claim that until now this document has not been translated in English. Many bi-lingual readers have shared opinions on the document with us and other media since the March 4 release. You can check out the March 6 West Seattle article "UPDATE: Cellmate's deposition & 427 page "motivation" document may clear Amanda Knox" here:

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2010/03/06/news/update-cellmates-deposi...

From that article, Edda Mellas, Amanda Knox's mother told the West Seattle Herald, "In trying to justify the knife (as evidence) they said there was 'definitely a second knife belonging to Raffaele.' But the 'alternative knife' was never brought up in court (...) It’s ludicrous.

"This is the summary that the judges wrote up. It is trying to justify the wrongful conviction of two innocent people," she added. "Because it's in Italian Amanda is also working on translating it. Her lawyers are thrilled. All of this is reason, and good grounds, for appeal."

Her husband, Amanda's step-father, Chris Mellas, said in that article, "Simply put, much of what is discussed in the report is not based in court-covered fact(...) In the end, it is good for us and we are happy because it is not based in court fact," Chris said. "This makes it easier for us at the appeal. Had the report been based in court fact, the judges would have been writing the reasoning for exoneration.”

One "Amanda follower" who is currently writing a book on the case told the West Seattle Herald, "As the murder trial and appeals process has been, and continues to be heard, in Perugia, Italy, and the lawyers and judges involved speak and read Italian, Amanda Knox will be judged by the Italian prosecution on the Italian translation that has been in their possession since March 4."

UPDATE: I am quoting the words "Italian translation." I believe it is obvious this person was referring to the Italian original.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.

Comments

Massei has accepted Raffaele's call as not fake

Judge Massei, whom as we all know is infallible, has now accept that there was no fake call. You really should read his report and try to understand it, instead of merely foaming at the mouth

The facts are the facts

"Mary H. wrote

The significance is that you are not as familiar with the case as you need to be in order to make the claims you are making. Why do you and all your pals here think you can out-argue people who provide documentation of facts when you provide none? You guys are clearly deluding yourselves.

The gravity of Raffaele's claim about the knife is diminished by the fact that all of the other statements in his diary repeatedly make it very clear he is innocent of the crime. Again -- your focus on the one iota that can support your case, at the expense of a mountain of opposing evidence, signifies only prejudice, not insight, analysis or judgment."

If you think you can claim that you are "more familiar" with this case than anyone else who reads about it in the news and the blogs maintained by the usual suspects, than please say why you think that? Are you an Italian lawyer who attended the hearings and court sessions and who disagrees with the way the trial was held? If so, why do Amanda's lawyer say she received a fair trial?

The only blog/website so far that has provided key information translated from primary sources were perugiamurderfile.org and truejustice.org. Frank Sfarzo and Candance Dempsey likewise seemed rather unprofessional in handling their respective websites. Frank Sfarzo deleted lots of comments, above all those asking about his interview given to Barbie Latza Nadeau, saying he was paid by an American company. Now why do you think is that? Candance Dempsey allowed horrible comments towards the Kerchers on her blog (same as Frank, but he later (much later) chose to moderate his blog) and deleted rigourously any comments that displayed a critical view of her articles and the PR campaign from Knox/Mellas. Worse even, she deleted questions from posters who stumbled on her blog in search for answers. The only two reporters that come to my mind that have refused to accept been spoon fed by Edda Mellas and Curt Knox were Barbie Latza Nadeau and Andrea Vogt, and look what they got themselves into just for doing their jobs. They are stalked online and private details have been given away about their families to intimidate them.

"We're not talking about

"We're not talking about Raffaele, we're talking about Amanda. And do you have evidence that his call was fake?"

Yeah, sure! You tell me what I am allowed to talk about!

Yes, the facts are the facts

Guest: "If you think you can claim that you are "more familiar" with this case than anyone else who reads about it in the news and the blogs maintained by the usual suspects, than please say why you think that? Are you an Italian lawyer who attended the hearings and court sessions and who disagrees with the way the trial was held? If so, why do Amanda's lawyer say she received a fair trial?"

I can't claim to be more familiar with this case than anyone else. I am more familiar with it than Steve Slattery and the poster who defended him.

If Amanda's lawyer said she received a fair trial it could be because he would be in danger of retaliation if he said otherwise.

Guest wrote: "Candance Dempsey allowed horrible comments towards the Kerchers on her blog."

Can you provide any examples?

Guest wrote" "They are stalked online and private details have been given away about their families to intimidate them."

Can you provide any evidence of this?

More of the same ...

"Guest wrote: "Candance Dempsey allowed horrible comments towards the Kerchers on her blog."

Can you provide any examples?

Guest wrote" "They are stalked online and private details have been given away about their families to intimidate them."

Can you provide any evidence of this?"

Why would l? I and hundreds of other readers are already aware of this fact, because we "lived" it. Any critical views on Candace's blog were deleted. The Kercher family was blamed by other posters for the prosecution of Amanda Knox for murder and these comments were allowed. I don't know if they are still there, neither do I care, they were online for months without being deleted. If she has taken them down in the meantime or not, I don't know, but I don't control her blog, she does and she is solely responsible for the fact that they were even allowed. Candace Dempsey didn't have a problem at all deleting "uncomfortable", but otherwise harmless posts by others. If you missed that chapter following the murder trial of Meredith Kercher, well, it proves you weren't a close follower of the trial. It is also difficult for me to believe that someone like you isn't aware of what happened at Candace Dempsey's blog. I am sure you are, you're just trying to be annoying.

Regarding the fact that Barbie Latza Nadeau was offended, you can read it up on the internet. Under her articles are plenty of examples. Again, I don't control the comment section under these articles, but I think there is a good chance you still find these comments from posters who posted nasty things about her looks, her and her family etc. Same happened to Peggy Ganong. Those who are following the PR campaign started by Edda/Chris Mellas and Curt Knox are well aware of the fact that the family tries to muzzle down everyone who could mean any harm to their poor child, while dragging the other kids into the spotlight and exposing them to the whole world.

I don't buy into your claims that you are unaware of all this. I am sure you don't need any "proof", because everybody posting her, knows all those circumstances all too well. Your only purpose is to make others, who are critical towards Knox, look bad. Well, you have much work to do, I don't want to keep you.

"This merely repeats what

"This merely repeats what the prosecution said in court without of course including the rebuttal by the defense."

The rebuttals were on another hearing. Do you want Italian sources of that day?

Before that, you can just start making your comparisons between what newspaper reported and what Frank Sfarzo wrote on this topic, the Rinaldi testimony. Then you may analyze how they reported the rebuttals and other topic. Confront each topic in the respective sources.

"These same experts insisted

"These same experts insisted for many months that Raffaele's shoes had made the bloody shoeprints "

False.
Rinaldi is not involved in that attribution.

You claim is totally false.

Frank Sfarzo

"Frank Sfarzo wrote, “With such limited elements Vinci is only able to rule out Raffaele (or the girls) and to say that the print is compatible with Rudi. And we can only admire his honesty and consistency.”

Frank Sfarzo said that Venci couldn't say that the footprint is Rudy's. That's why "we can admire his honesty": because Rafael's lawyers called him to say that the footprint was Rudy's but he couldn't say that, and could only define it "compatible" with Rudy.

And we can admire even Frank's honesty...

Cesspool

This blog has become a cesspool which professes Amanda's guilt due to:

--PR firm

--Amanda has had sex like her other roommates

--Amanda has smoked pot like her other roommates

Who were the geniuses who said this

So if not Rinaldi who were the idiots? The Perugia police? The Roman forensics people? "These same experts insisted for many months that Raffaele's shoes had made the bloody shoeprints "

actually we don't have to do anything you say

actually we're not on PMS so we don't have to make your "comparisons," pay attention to your "analysis," look up rebuttal information for you, confront each "topic" in the "respective sources" or be impressed because you managed to find a single Italian source after all these years.

But thanks for stopping by.

This speaks volumes

Mary H: Can you provide any evidence of this?"

PMFER: Why would l?

Police proven wrong about all of this for Raffaele

Bloody shoeprint. nope. Rudy admitted this himself
Bloody footprint. Nope. Per Frank: Ruled out by genius Rinaldi for Raffaele and the girls, but is compatible to Rud
"fake" call to cops. Judge Massei conceded didn't happen

Barbie Latza Nadeau's anti-Meredith remarks okayed by PMF

Anti-Meredith remarks from Angel Face by Barbie Latza Nadeau, approved by PMF and TJMK as perfectly appropriate and tasteful

Meredith had no problem being drunk in public
Meredith had two boyfriends, one at home and one at school
Meredith shaved her lower regions
Meredith had little breasts
Meredith smoked marijuana

Shame on you Gest 4:27

Shame on you Gest 4:27

SHAME SHAME SHAME RIP

SHAME SHAME SHAME

RIP Meredith

Mary, Phanuel go to hell and

Mary, Phanuel go to hell and take the Knox-Mellas with you.

RIP Meredith, peace and healing for her family and friends.

No wonder Mary can't sleep.

Something's rotten in the

Something's rotten in the state of Washington.

Peace for Meredith and her family.

Deanna Knox it must be you..

Deanna Knox it must be you..

Nah, it wuz me

Nah, it wuz me

Read Sfarzo

" actually we don't have to do anything you say "

Yes you can read Sfarzo and be happy.

You can even don't read anything at all. Maybe total ignorance is baeutiful.
It's a choice.

Who said the print was compatible with Sollecito's shoe

" So if not Rinaldi who were the idiots? The Perugia police? The Roman forensics people? "

The "idiots" in that occasion were the mobile squad at the police station of Foligno (commissariato di Foligno).
They are not forensics. They are just policemen, they normaly deal only with fingerprints. They said their assessment was "provisional", it was "possibly compatible", they would send all the stuff to Rome for further investigation.

Steve Moore Criticizes the Investigation

Here are the words of Steve Moore, a recently retired FBI agent with a distinguished 25 year career.

"I will only say of the interrogation, that if any FBI Agents I supervised had conducted that interrogation in the U.S., I would have had them indicted."

"One reason that they were falsely convicted was that every rule of good investigation was violated."

"But Patrizia[Stefanoni] was not deterred by logic and fact. In court, she said that she knew that the luminol stain was blood "...because of its color." Every trained forensic investigator (except, apparently Stefanoni) knows that luminol glows blue. Only blue. Not a different shade of blue for different substances...just blue. What Stefanoni said, she knew to be false, or she was so incompetent that she should not have been allowed to destroy a crime scene."

"In the U.S., this type of prosecutorial misconduct would almost certainly have resulted in a mistrial, and likely jail time for the prosecutor."

"One of the responsibilities of the FBI is to investigate police misconduct, and it is one of the more difficult investigations an FBI Agent can be assigned. I myself have conducted some of these investigations. I have seen the misconduct of police and prosecutors. But I have never personally been involved in a case where the misconduct is as egregious and obvious as the Mignini actions in Perugia. This was not a search for truth. This was a crusade to convict."

"In reality then, Stefanoni's own incompetent investigation actually verifies Amanda's account of her morning."

"In this case, at every significant step, the investigators' actions were counter to and opposite of established and recognized investigative procedures and "best practices". Every conclusion they took from evidence presented was counter to logic or reason."

"The police and prosecutor in Perugia decided on an outcome in this case very early on. They were undaunted by evidence that repeatedly contradicted and disproved their chosen outcome. These conclusions go beyond simply stretching credibility."

"In my cases in the FBI, I have seen agents conduct masterful interviews, and I have had to deal with intelligence operatives of other countries torturing suspects. I know my way around good and bad interrogations. The Inquisition Amanda Knox experienced in Perugia was no more legally or morally defensible than the Salem Witch Trials. No rational person should believe that the results of what she went through are reliable evidence."

The infamous Steve Moore ...

... didn't have a chance to review the evidence. That says it all about his published opinion. I haven't seen Steve Moore on television criticising the investigation. The only piece I've read from "Steve Moore" comes from a dubious source. No newspaper or television channel has reproduced this ever.

It doesn't matter how many "experts for hire" the Knox/Mellas drag into the spotlight. Unless they can convince the jury, they are useless. So far they only raised a stink in the blogsphere and that's about it.

Public Officials are Accountable

The allegation that Steve Moore is an "expert for hire" is false. Please provide a source for this claim.

Government officials, including judicial officials, are in the end accountable to the people. One of the problems with the Italian process is that it is not transparent. The trial record is not available for any of us to see.

The public debate about this case is an important part of how democracies work. They have done more than raise a stink in the "blogosphere." The Sunday following the verdict, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton appeared on ABC This Week and was asked how the US government would react. The US State Department has said that they will not comment while the appeals process is underway. It's a big deal when the Washington Press Corp sees a need to ask the Secretary of State a question like that.

If she would be innocent, her then boyfriend would have

... supported her alibi, something he didn't. They wouldn't have lied about their alibis and changed them various times until finally not even agreeing in one version. They wouldn't have left their foot and shoe prints set in the victim's blood at the crime scene. If a stranger would have killed Meredith Kercher, nobody would have come back to the crime scene to stage and re-arrange it. Nobody would have needed to fake a break-in. Amanda Knox wouldn't have left her DNA mixed with the victim's blood in five different instances in the house, one of them in Filomena's room where the break-in was staged. Let alone all the details that doesn't match up like Amanda's claim trying to reach Meredith over the phone, but hanging up after 2 or 3 seconds, omitting the fact that the postal police was already at the house when talking to her mother in Seattle, lying about where she was when she made her calls etc. etc. The list is long.

Perugia police pretended that the shoeprint was Raffaeles

This is pretend insight. In fact, the Perugia police contended for many, many months that the print was Raffaele's. Even the highest court in Italy fell for their bullshit.

The "idiots" in that occasion were the mobile squad at the police station of Foligno (commissariato di Foligno).

This perfectly describes Peter Quennell and Peggy Ganong

"So far they only raised a stink in the blogsphere and that's about it."

SHAME SHAME SHAME BARBIE LATZA NADEAU

RIP Meredith

Everything Peter Quennell and Peggy Ganong wrote

... has turned out to be true so far. The same cannot be said about the FOA or the family of Amanda Knox.

Andrea Vogt and Barbie Latza Nadeau attended court sessions and are both fluent in Italian. Frank Sfarzo's reporting was tainted, because he was funded by an American company, according to himself, a fact he later tried to hide. Candace Dempsey went only a couple of times to Perugia and did not attend court sessions regularly, neither does she speak any Italian. She was spoon fed by Edda Mellas and Curt Knox, in change she had access to privileged information in change of support for Amanda Knox. Same applies to Frank Sfarzo. Does anybody remember the forensic photos made public on his blog, having blanked out the private parts of the victim in an amateurish way? Way to go, Frank!

Andrea Vogt and Barbie Latza Nadeau - both independent journalist - had both a critical point of view of Amanda Knox and don't have to seem any trouble with the sentence giving to both accused.

Everything Peter Quennell and Peggy Ganong wrote

... has turned out to be true so far. The same cannot be said about the FOA or the family of Amanda Knox.

Andrea Vogt and Barbie Latza Nadeau attended court sessions and are both fluent in Italian. Frank Sfarzo's reporting was tainted, because he was funded by an American company, according to himself, a fact he later tried to hide. Candace Dempsey went only a couple of times to Perugia and did not attend court sessions regularly, neither does she speak any Italian. She was spoon fed by Edda Mellas and Curt Knox, in change she had access to privileged information in change of support for Amanda Knox. Same applies to Frank Sfarzo. Does anybody remember the forensic photos made public on his blog, having blanked out the private parts of the victim in an amateurish way? Way to go, Frank!

Andrea Vogt and Barbie Latza Nadeau - both independent journalist - had both a critical point of view of Amanda Knox and don't have to seem any trouble with the sentence giving to both accused.

Perugia police deliberately got the shoe wrong

Mr Sollecito's size 42-1/2 Nike trainers are already being subjected to forensic tests. According to Perugia police, they match a footprint found in blood on the floor of Ms Kercher's bedroom. Richard Owen

"This is pretend insight.

"This is pretend insight. "

No this is reading the documents. Documents affirming compatibility of the shoeprint were written by the police of Foligno. This is a fact. I don't know what you mean by the statement "Perugia police contends for many months". Formally the police station of Foligno is dependent from the Questura of Perugia. But the Questura made no other verification nor claim, the Prosecution simply sent the file to Rome laboratories. I never saw sources for this contention by the Perugia police nor I see how this could be officially formalized: if you have a source give it. There was no legal arena where the Perugia police could affirm or contend this claim, and I never heared this being mainteined for months by the Perugia police. What I know is the GIP (Matteini) decided to hold the claim as valid until she had further results from the investigation files, which included Vinci's report and Rinaldi's report.

" Government officials,

" Government officials, including judicial officials, are in the end accountable to the people. One of the problems with the Italian process is that it is not transparent. The trial record is not available for any of us to see. "

Ask AMANDA's family and GIULIA BONGIORNO and you will have the whole trial records.

If they refuse to release them for all you to see them, you can call them non transparent just like the "italian process" and you should acuse them to be a part in this lack of transparency.

I'm sorry...I simply do not

I'm sorry...I simply do not buy the Guede sole killer theory for several reasons...there has been inconsistent stories as to whether Meredith was sexually assaulted or not...regardless...most murders commited by men on women are sexually driven or out of rage...Guede had no reason to be enraged with Meredith...the sexually driven theory can be used but the fact he had no criminal record of sexual crimes before this argues very much against that...most men who would commit this sort of murder at age 20 would have a criminal past of some sort, (stalking girls in school years, unusual childhood behavior...he has none of this)...this theory eliminated Sollecito more or less as well if you ask me..that leaves Amanda...I still believe she did this herself in a jealous rage for who knows what reason....the one thing that has always convinced me was when I heard Meredith's face was covered when she was found...this is classic behavior a woman would exhibit following a murder, especially someone who knew her victim well. The fact there were multiple wounds as well as defensive injuries would indicate a jealous rage type of attack and also a similar match in strength...Meredith was probably able to attempt to fight Amanda off for at least awhile before she was overcome...both girls were physically in good condition but Amanda looks like she'd be stronger just based on photos as she has more of a built appearance.

Amanda's psychological

Amanda's psychological evaluation indicates that she might kill again. There is no word about Rudy or Raffaele.

Raffaele backed her alibi up

Raffaele backed her up in front of Judge Matteini. In front of the Supreme court his lawyers only argued that clues against Amanda should not count as clues against him, and the SC agreed. Their argument is not the same as saying that Amanda was not with him. The police did follow-up testing on the luminol-positive prints, and no follow up test confirmed the presence of Meredith's blood. Facts are stubborn things.

Public Officials are Accountable

Phanuel you wrote ** The US State Department has said that they will not comment while the appeals process is underway. ** The responses from your State Department to the Meredith Kercher murder case are a classic example of one democracy respecting the sovereignty of another. What is relevant is not so much a reporter asked the question as the response from your State Department.

Guede Sole Killer Theory

Re: I'm sorry...I simply do not

Guest: A logical look at the evidence points straight to Guede and not to Amanda and Raffaele.

(1) Guede's non-sperm DNA was found in the sexual areas of Meredith. Meredith had started dating an Italian young man (Giacomo Silenzi) and no one knew of a relationship between Guede and Meredith.
(2) Guede has been described in first hand statements by Zach Nowak on the TLC documentary as a "girl botherer."
(3) Italian officials got one thing right when they stated:"a sexual act that ends with someone dead was not consensual."
(4) Most murders of women by men are driven by sexual desire? Quite true. Why do you think this murder wasn't?
(5) Guede had no reason to be enraged with Meredith? Sexually motivated homicides of young women in their prime by troubled males happen every day somewhere in the world. "Enraged" very seldom describes the killer.
(6) No history of sex crimes by Guede? It's probably because no one has looked. They may not have pursued this because the evidence was so overwhelming against him that they didn't see a need. It is undisputed that Guede was present throughout the killing and that he fled the scene without calling police or an ambulance.
(7) Guede's life was spiraling downward into crime at the time of the killing. He had recently been thrown out by a foster family who had taken him in. They called him a "tremendous liar."
(8) Guede has brandished a knife in when caught breaking into Cristian Tramontano's house
(9) Guede was caught alone behind closed doors in a Milan nursery school 4 days before the murder. For reasons that remain unclear, police did not arrest him. He had with him property taken from one of his previous break-ins and he had a knife that he told police he needed for protection.
(10) Nathan Abraham on the CBS 48 Hours documentary describes how Guede had gotten in a knife fight with a bartender
(11) In all of Guede's break-ins and knife incidents prior to the murder, he acted without accomplices.
(12) The claim that women are more likely to cover a victim with a duvet is a fabrication of Italian investigators that Barbie Nadeau reported but did not confirm with independent experts as any responsible journalist would do.
(13) If Amanda did this in a jealous rage, how can this be reconciled with the evidence of Guede's sexual penetration of the victim and his flight?
(14) Guede had defensive wounds to his fingers that were photographed by German police, 20 days after the killing. AK and RS had no defensive wounds when examined 4 days after the killing. People who kill others with knives usually get injured in the process.
(15) The large number of wounds on the victim was not an indication of multiple attackers. Experienced investigators call it overkill and it's not uncommon in homicides.
(16) There was no staged break-in. Guede had participated in a break-in of a Perugian law office only a couple of weeks before the murder. In that crime he broke a window with a rock and entered through a second story window -- exactly what was observed at the crime scene?
(17) Guede exactly fits the profile of a troubled male who would commit this crime. Amanda and Raffaele do not.
(18) Guede had a sexual interest in Meredith.
(19) Amanda had seen Guede around, nothing more. He was a bar crawler, she worked in a bar.
(20) Massive physical evidence (prints in the victim's blood, footprints, DNA everywhere) of Guede was found at the crime scene.

Nonsense Phanuel. .Where is

Nonsense Phanuel. .Where is the evidence?

Guede Sole Killer Theory

Phanuel you do love your lists, “your” being the operative word. The factual context is that Raffaele and Amanda have been convicted pending the automatic appeals process of Italy along with Rudy Guede of murdering Meredith Kercher. Now you and others may not agree with that verdict which is your right. However, the context of the appeal once again whether you and others accept it or not is the Massei Report this is what the defence teams must refute in the context of Italian Penal Codes, not American or British but Italian. Now given US State Department and here I quote you ** The US State Department has said that they will not comment while the appeals process is underway. ** Now if that is good enough for Uncle Same I fail to see how you and your band of merry women and men can get around the rather tiresome issue of the Italian judicial process. By all means argument the evidence, process and procedure or lack of it as much as you like. Nonetheless, official US government position is that there is a process and it, may I insert, a process which may or may not result in Raffaele Sollecito and Amanda Knox convictions being confirmed or overturned.

Guede Sole Killer Theory

Phanuel where is your other list of notable non Italians who are not American citizens whom support Amanda? You appear to quote US sources and opinions on a case that is being prosecuted in Italy do you have any notable Europeans observers? You know not the odd journalist or obscure web site, but a European heavy weight or dare I say an actual Italian comparable to your (retired FBI, no I haven’t actually been to Perugia or spoken to anyone involved in the case or indeed seen the actual evidence) Steve Moore, anything?, anyone?

European heavyweight

The ECHR's pretty heavy.

Professor Kekule is an eminent molecular biologist

Professor Kekule wrote an article right after the conviction for the German newspaper Der Tagesspiegel;

http://viewfromwilmington.blogspot.com/2010/01/commentary-on-knox-and-so...

Rudy's rage

Guest wrote: "....most murders commited by men on women are sexually driven or out of rage...Guede had no reason to be enraged with Meredith...."

These statements ignore the common phenomenon of women being raped or murdered by strangers. When psychologists speak of rapists and murderers expressing rage, they don't mean rage at the victims of their criminal behavior. They mean rage resulting from mental illness, or from a lifetime of abuse, or from a lifetime of being conditioned to hate women.

In this case, Rudy's rage had been building before the murder; that is, his criminal behavior had been escalating. His final rage may have been triggered by fear (of being discovered) or by Meredith fighting back against his attack.

It was not necessarily personal. He might have raped or killed a different woman that night, under the right circumstances.

Amanda's psycholgical evaluation

Guest wrote: "Amanda's psychological evaluation indicates that she might kill again. There is no word about Rudy or Raffaele."

Do tell. Who conducted this psychological evaluation, and where can we read it?

UK Guest

UK Guest wrote: "Phanuel you wrote ** The US State Department has said that they will not comment while the appeals process is underway. ** The responses from your State Department to the Meredith Kercher murder case are a classic example of one democracy respecting the sovereignty of another. What is relevant is not so much a reporter asked the question as the response from your State Department."

Phanuel's point was that, "It's a big deal when the Washington Press Corp sees a need to ask the Secretary of State a question like that." His point is not weakened by the response the question received.

The response does have other relevance, though, quite clearly. As you claim, it is, indeed, "a classic example of one democracy respecting the sovereignty of another" -- at least verbally and in public. It says absolutely nothing about what may be going on being the scenes.

European Heavyweight

ECHR, as far as I know the European Court of Human Rights will only get involved after a member state namely Italy has exhausted its judicial process essentially the same position as the US government official position in the guise of the US State Department mentioned earlier by PhanuelB; so I guess ECHR involvement assumes those convicted (Raffaele and Amanda) will fail to win their two automatic appeals and that Italy has in some way acted illegally and denied Amanda and Raffaele human rights.

ECHR

UK Guest wrote: "ECHR, as far as I know the European Court of Human Rights will only get involved after a member state namely Italy has exhausted its judicial process essentially the same position as the US government official position in the guise of the US State Department mentioned earlier by PhanuelB; so I guess ECHR involvement assumes those convicted (Raffaele and Amanda) will fail to win their two automatic appeals and that Italy has in some way acted illegally and denied Amanda and Raffaele human rights."

It's possible. It is also possible that the ECHR is watching the appeals process closely and may act if they have already decided that the Perugians acted illegally and denied Amanda and Raffaele human rights. Like the US State Department, it could be they are staying mum out of courtesy until they see the result of the first appeal, but will not necessarily wait for a second appeal.

Guede Sole Killer Theory

Hey Mary thank you for responding on behalf of PhanuelB. I would argue that the US State Department response is a bit more important than a member of the Washington Press Corps question, as for your other comment about “public” statements I defer to your approach of asking you to providing verifiable independent sources to prove what you infer “what may be going on behind the scenes”.