Roxhill Elementary wins $2.1 million grant from Families and Education Levy
Principal Carmela Dellino of Roxhill Elementary shared that the school was the recipient of an award in the recent Families and Education Levy grant.
"We’re excited to say that Roxhill Elementary School is one of four elementary schools chosen to be awarded the Families and Education Levy and recognized as an Innovative School! Through much collaboration and hard work Roxhill is fortunate to be a grantee of $300,000 per year for the next seven years! Sixteen elementary schools around the city took on the rigorous challenge to compete this spring for this grant. We are honored to receive these funds and eager to further support students and families both academically and socially. These funds will also provide us the capacity to develop a stronger partnership and alignment with Denny International Middle (Levy Award Recipient) and Chief Health High School, We are confident we will continue to close the achievement gap.
Topping the list of the new and extended teaching and learning opportunities, we will provide funding for:
* Continued Partnership with City Year–To be responsible for tutoring and academic achievement efforts in Reading and Math through 1:1 and small group tutoring with a focus on intermediate level ELL students in Grades 3-5 in math and Grade 3 in Reading. In addition, corps members will provide before and after school programs for K-5, focused around academic achievement, social skills coaching, enrichment programs, and service opportunities; work to support the strengthening of family engagement through support at all-school family events and promoting good attendance K-5; and when possible provide additional instructional assistance during Saturday Academy.
* Communities In Schools”– To provide intensive, whole child case management for 25 to 35 of our most high-needs K-5 students. The CIS services for our focus families and students will include a primary tutoring focus on K-2 ELL students. Those students will have extended learning opportunities in Math for grades 1 and 2 and in Literacy for our Kindergarteners. Tutoring 1:1 and in smalls groups for focus students of grades 1 and 2 in Math and Kindergarten in ELL’s in language and literacy. There will be attendance intervention for all focus students that includes wrap-around services for the focus families to help assure the regular attendance of the child. CIS will assist with Roxhill’s Family Engagement efforts including the coordination of the All-School Family Nights, the Pre-K to K and 5th to 6th grade transition events and services, and a College Readiness component.
* Math Intervention Teacher – To provide 1:1 and small group Math instruction for focus students K-5 during the school day. Offer extended day learning opportunities such as after school Math instruction for focus students and Math instruction during Saturday Academy. Will work collaboratively with Math Coaches at Chief Sealth, Denny MS and West Seattle Elementary School to enhance vertical alignment and support summer school learning opportunities for students transitioning to middle school.
* Tutoring partnerships with UTSS –Three tutors to be used in both a push-in model where students work with tutors within the classroom setting and 1:1 groupings during the day and after school for focus ELL students (3rd grade reading) and K-2 (Math).
* Supplemental Math materials-- for 30 focus students during the school day, after school and Saturday Academy Math intervention efforts.