Photo by David Rosen
Ian Stawicki, the man who killed five in Seattle on May 30, dumped a stolen Mercedes SUV on the 4100 block of Delridge Way S.W. in West Seattle. Police are seen here investigating the abandoned vehicle. A West Seattle hairdresser says she gave Stawicki a hair and beard trim that day.

West Seattle hairdresser claims Stawicki was customer after the killings

Part of the mystery of the whereabouts of gunman Ian Stawicki during his time in West Seattle on May 30 has been clarified by a West Seattle hairdresser who claims to have cut his hair and trimmed his beard.

Stawicki went on a deadly rampage that day, killing four people at Café Racer in north Seattle and shooting another near city hall before stealing her vehicle and fleeing to West Seattle. He abandoned the SUV on Delridge and roamed the peninsula for four hours before shooting himself in the Fairmount Park neighborhood as police approached.

The hairdresser, who spoke to the West Seattle Herald only on the condition of anonymity, said she had received a call from her husband that a gunman was in West Seattle and on the loose. He warned her to lock her door. She did.

She said Stawicki appeared outside her California Ave S.W. salon shortly thereafter, carrying a blueberry plant he had just purchased at West Seattle Nursery. She unlocked the door and let him in, unaware at the time who he was.

"He said it was his daughter's birthday," the hairdresser said. “He said, 'I need to get a trim and make it look good for my daughter.'

She asked about the blueberry plant, and Stawicki told her it was for his daughter. “My daughter can watch this grow as she grows up,” he said.

Stawicki had no children.

"At first he sat down and said he wanted to take his beard off, and I said, 'Are you sure? and then he said, 'Cut it the way a woman would like.' and he said it a couple of times so I said, 'ok' and I trimmed it and cleaned it up. He said, 'I'm a fisherman and the people on the boat don't do a good job' so zip, zip and I was done."

The hair and beard trim, possibly done for the sake of altering his appearance as police searched West Seattle in full force, seems to coincide with his father’s details of identifying Stawicki at the medical examiner’s office on June 1.

In an interview with the West Seattle Herald, Ian’s father Walt Stawicki said, “I touched him and took a little lock of his hair and some for his mom, but his beard was almost like a shadow.”

The hairdresser said Stawicki appeared "completely calm" and unhurried but, "when he sat down I saw three pieces of blood on his face."

She noticed that Stawicki appeared to have tiny specks of blood in three spots: on his forehead, lips and chin.

"You know guys, they pick pimples and so I didn't even think about it," she said.

Stawicki was there at ten minutes to 2 p.m.

She asked him, "How old is he and he said, 'I don't remember' and then a minute later he said, 'Oh I was born in ‘71' and I said, 'You are younger than me then.'"

The hairdresser said Stawicki was only in the salon for about 15 minutes.

"After I trimmed his hair he borrowed my phone book and he wrote down a phone number and an address and I handed my phone to him and he made a phone call…,” she said. “I asked him, 'Did you get the person you were calling?’

“No,” he replied, “the phone was busy, but I will get to them.'"

“He took out $20 and said, 'Is this enough?' and I said, 'It's more than enough. I only trimmed your beard and hair. I'll take $20.’"

“He was just a walk in customer,” she continued. “He was so calm. He seemed nice to me. I didn't know. If he had acted a little weird I would know."

When Stawicki left he stepped outside and paused.

"It seemed like he wasn't sure which way he was going to go," she said.

West Seattle Nursery employees said Stawicki purchased the blueberry plant shortly before 2 p.m. Seattle Police have not released their version of his timeline, but it appears the hairdresser may have been his next stop. At some point that afternoon he dropped the plant and an unsigned thank you card off on an old teacher’s doorstep while she was at work.

Seattle Police have declined to discuss specifics of the case, including Stawicki’s West Seattle whereabouts, until their investigation is complete.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.