Seattle Public Libraries across the city will be closed from Aug. 27 until Sept. 4 due to budget cuts. Closures include the High Point (pictured), Southwest, Delridge and West Seattle branches.
REMINDER: Seattle libraries will be closed for a week due to budget cuts (Aug. 27 - Sept. 3)
All branches of the Seattle Public Library System will be closed from Monday, Aug. 27 through Monday, Sept. 3 (which includes the Labor Day holiday closure) as a city-mandated cost saving measure.
For the Southwest (9010 35th Ave S.W.) and West Seattle (2306 42nd Ave S.W.) branches, the last day to check out items or use the drop box will be 5 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 26. Book drops will reopen at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 4.
For the Delridge (5423 Delridge Way S.W.) and High Point (3411 S.W. Raymond St.) branches (those not open on Sundays), the last day to check out items and use the drop box will be 6 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 25. Book drops will reopen on Sept. 4 at 9:30 a.m. as well.
Most online services will shut down at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 26.
Most services unavailable during the one-week closure. Here are the details from SPL:
• Materials will not be due and fines will not be charged.
• The last day to check out Library items before the closure is either Saturday, Aug. 25, or Sunday, Aug. 26, depending on which library you use. Visit the Library Hours & Locations page or call 206-386-4636 for more information.
• Book drops will not be open. Do not leave books and items outside Library locations during the closure. You will be responsible for theft, loss or damage to Library items left outside buildings. There is no need to return items during the closure because no items will be due and no fines charged.
• Limited access to the online catalog. Patrons will be able to search the catalog and check their Library record, but will not be able to place holds on items.
• Limited access to the website. The online calendar, databases, downloadable books and media, digital special collections, podcasts, SPL Mobile app and blogs will be available, but other online information and features will not be accessible.
• Library computers will not be available. You will not be able to reserve a computer for the week the Library system is closed. See a list of north, south and central Seattle locations with free Internet access.
• No access to Wi-Fi.
• Book group kits will not be sent, received or returned during the one-week closure. Kits will be sent to branches after the Library reopens on Tuesday, Sept. 4.
• Programs or events will not be held in Library meeting rooms.
• No TeleCirc, the Library's telephone circulation service that provides patrons with information on their Library account.
• Quick Information telephone service will not be available.
• Mail will not be received during the closure. The Library will have the U.S. Post Office hold all mail until the Library reopens. Staff won't be able to accept deliveries.
• Email a librarian or chat with a librarian will not be available.
• Mobile Services deliveries will not be made.
• Parking in Library branch garages will not be available at the Capitol Hill, Montlake, Greenwood and Ballard branches. The Central Library parking garage will be open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Aug. 27 through Friday, Aug. 31 and closed Saturday, Sept. 1 through Monday, Sept. 3.