Patrick Robinson
Lala Peneueta was upended on a runback effort during the game between the Evergreen Wolverines (green and white) and Chief Sealth (blue and red). Sealth won the game 26-20. CLICK THE PHOTO ABOVE TO SEE MORE

SLIDESHOW:Sealth tops Evergreen 26-20 in non-league season opener

Aiden Behar pounced on a fumble in the end zone to complete a 14-yard touchdown play as Chief Sealth pulled out a 26-20 win over Evergreen Friday.
It was the non-league season opener for both of the two close neighbors, as Chief Sealth of West Seattle plays in the Metro League and Evergreen of White Center in the Seamount League.

"It felt good, man," said Seahawks head coach Luther Carr III of the win. "It's good that we came out in our first game at our new school and won. I'm just happy we won."

The touchdown with 3:56 to play in the fourth quarter broke a 20-20 tie, and even though the Seahawks fumbled away a two-point conversion attempt it proved to be the winning margin.

Chief Sealth also opened the scoring in the game.

LeeAndre Dickerson snagged a 10-yard touchdown pass from Maxwell Sarver to make it 6-0 with 7:27 to play in the first quarter and a run for a two-point failed to keep it there.

The Wolverines of Evergreen took a 7-6 lead with 1:34 to play in the first quarter. Kenny Dang scored a 3-yard touchdown and Dickerson kicked the extra point.

As a blue moon rose in the east at the Southwest Athletic Complex, the tide turned the light blue clad Seahawks' way once again.

Sarver hit Trevor Forsell with a 25-yard touchdown pass before connecting with Jake Eddy on the left side for a two-point conversion that made it 14-7 with 5:40 to go in the second quarter.

Evergreen pulled within one point at 14-13 on the first play of the third quarter.
Lala Peneueta ran for a 33-yard touchdown, but the kick for the extra point was blocked to leave the Wolverines one point shy at the 11:39 mark.

Chief Sealth went up, 20-13, with 9:12 to play in the third quarter.

Forsell scored an 18-yard touchdown, then a run for a two-point conversion failed.
That left Evergreen with a chance to tie it up with a touchdown and a one-point conversion, and the Wolverines took advantage.

Dang delivered a 10-yard touchdown run on the left side and Junior Ngauamo kicked the extra point to knot it at 20-20 with 2:36 left in the third quarter.
The score remained that way until Behar made his decisive fumble recover to win it for Chief Sealth.

The Seahawks stopped Evergreen drives at the Wolverines' own 26 and 20 to polish off the win.

Both teams return to action Friday, Sept. 7. Evergreen hosts Orting for a 5 p.m. non-league game at Highline Memorial and Chief Sealth journeys to Seattle Memorial for Metro League action against Cleveland, also at 5 p.m.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.