David Rosen
The house at 5244 45th s.w. was consumed by fire in the early morning hours of Oct. 7. The fire was caused by burning embers from the fireplace. Investigators said the home was a total loss.

House is a total loss from early morning fire; Caused by embers from fireplace

Seattle Fire Department press release- from Fireline

A Seattle Fire Investigator is calling an early morning West Seattle house fire accidental. The cause was determined to be burning embers from the fireplace igniting the carpet and furniture in the living room of the 2-story home with a daylight basement.

At 3:27 a.m., the Fire Alarm Center received a 911 call from a neighbor, who reported a full involved house fire in the 5400 block of 45th Avenue SW. West Seattle Engine Company 32 arrived first to find the lone occupant outside the house but flames shooting out the front door, the front window and higher than the chimney. The flames were also exposing to a home north of the fire house.

Knowing all occupants were out the house the firefighters took a defensive position and attacked the flames from the outside. After 15 minutes, changed tactics and went offensive. Crew took hose lines inside and began to knock down the heavy flames. It took crews 45 minutes to completely extinguish the fire.

The occupant of the home suffered a minor burn to the hand while trying to extinguish the flames. He declined medical treatment.

The home is considered a total loss and the estimated dollar loss is $100,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.