Seattle Police Department
Officer Scott Luckie, who confronted Ian Stawicki in West Seattle on May 30 following the multiple shootings at Cafe Racer and downtown Seattle is part of the video profiling the incident shown at an awards ceremony Friday Oct. 19. Luckie received the Medal of Courage for his actions.

UPDATE: Seattle Police Foundation releases video on tracking Ian Stawicki, the Cafe Racer killer, in West Seattle

Video summary added


See video

A video played during the 11th Annual Seattle Police Foundation Awards banquet on Oct. 19 is now available for viewing (see above).

The banquet honored SPD Southwest Precinct Officer Scott Luckie and Detective Scotty Bach for their actions in tracking Stawicki down near Fauntleroy and Raymond on May 30, after he had killed four at Cafe Racer and took another victim's life before jacking her car and eventually dropping it off in West Seattle, taking off on foot.

Luckie and Bach were given Medals of Courage for their work.

Here is the Herald coverage as events unfolded that day.

Summary of the video:
A day of tragedy in Seattle started at the small Café Racer in North Seattle when a mentally-ill man methodically shot and killed four people on May 30, 2012. Ian Stawicki then shot and killed a woman near city hall before stealing her SUV and driving to West Seattle.

The peninsula was in lockdown and a massive manhunt launched from noon until 4 p.m. while Stawicki roamed West Seattle, allegedly getting a haircut and buying a blueberry plant that he dropped off at an ex-teacher's home.

Stawicki’s rampage came to an end around 4 p.m. that day when a SPD detective spotted him in the Fairmount Park neighborhood. Minutes later, he shot himself in the head, dying from his self-inflicted wound later that evening.

That detective, Scotty Bach, and SPD Southwest Precinct Officer Scott Luckie, were given Medals of Courage by the Seattle Police Foundation on Oct. 19 for their bravery in facing an armed and dangerous Stawicki that day, and a video released by the foundation provides details into how the tragedy came to an end.

Sgt. Verner O’Quin explained that Det. Bach had been given surveillance footage of Stawicki from Café Racer, and was traveling around West Seattle on the lookout for their suspect.

Bach, assigned to the SPD Special Operations Bureau, was driving on Fauntleroy Way S.W. and approaching S.W. Raymond St. when he saw a man walking down the road he believed to be Stawicki.

“A male walks across the street and as I go by him I immediately say, ‘That’s the guy,’ … but I didn’t believe myself at first because he was just out in the open. He was not trying to hide, he was just acting like Joe Citizen going to cross the street here and he walking as if nothing had happened.”

Bach said he looked at Stawicki’s shoes and pants and knew, based on surveillance footage, that it was his guy. Stawicki walked eastbound on Raymond and Bach followed him with a half block buffer.

“He is not looking back at me, but I could sense that he knew I was there,” Bach said in the video. “I was very scared and felt I would get shot at and/or shot.”

He was looking for cover, could not find any, and decided to give himself a little distance while waiting for backup.

“I didn’t want to die that day,” Bach said.

Officer Scott Luckie said in the video that he responded to the backup call along with other officers and came to the intersection of Raymond and 37th Ave S.W., expecting other patrol vehicles to already be on the scene. He saw Bach’s undercover vehicle as he turned onto 37th, and found himself driving right alongside Stawicki.

“He was right up there on the sidewalk walking,” Luckie said, so he stepped out to confront the suspect. “I wasn’t afraid, I was more (thinking) I’ve got to give him commands, I’m not going to give him the opportunity to take control. I’m going to keep control of the situation.”

Luckie got out of his car and yelled twice, “Stop, stop police, get down!” and Stawicki dropped to his knees, pulled out his handgun, and shot himself in the head before Luckie opened fire. The video shows Luckie’s in-car footage of Stawicki walking down 37th and dropping to his knees.

“Officer Luckie did his job that day, but he was amazing to go and get that close to the suspect to address the threat,” Bach said.

“Both of them were in a situation where they dealing with what they believed was a mass murderer,” Sgt. O’Quin said of their work that day. “Both had to recognize that there was a chance they were going to get shot and killed and their hope is that no innocent people get hurt in this situation, but they still had to take action.”

Officer Luckie and Det. Bach are being awarded the SPD Medal of Courage.

Looking back on May 30, Southwest Precinct Captain Steve Paulsen wrote in an email, "We are very proud of our officers who immediately responded to this horrific event and utilized every available tool and resource to quickly locate the suspect and put an end to the senseless acts of violence."

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.