Seattle firefighters wrap up after knocking down a house fire on the 200 block of S.W. Roxbury St. in West Seattle on Jan. 22.

UPDATE 2: Everyone (including four dogs) safe in Roxbury house fire

Update for Jan. 24
Seattle Fire has provided a summary of the West Seattle house fire earlier this week that resulted in a close call for four chihuahuas:

An unattended portable halogen work light inside a dog cage is to blame for a West Seattle house fire according to a Seattle Fire Investigator.

At 10:39 a.m., firefighters were called to a house on the 200 block of SW Roxbury Street. When firefighters arrived then found the one-story home’s deck on fire with flames extending up the side of the home to the roof.

Firefighters were able to knock down the fire and foamed the remaining charred area to prevent the rekindling of the flames.

The fire investigator determined the fire began inside a metal dog cage on the wooden deck of the home and spread to the deck and exterior wall. The fire never made it inside the house.

The cause of the fire is being called accidental electrical. The damage estimate is $20,000.

The four Chihuahua’s inside the dog cage all survived the fire.

Update for 1:30 p.m.
Kyle Moore with the Seattle Fire Department has an update on the Roxbury house fire on Jan. 22.

Moore said the fire was accidental, caused by a heater in an outdoor dog cage that spread to the deck and back siding of the house. Four dogs were inside the cage, but escaped unharmed.

Contrary to initial details, the fire did not make it's way into the attic but was contained to the exterior.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Original post
What looked like the recent spat of daily fog to motorists heading eastbound on S.W. Roxbury on Jan. 22 was aided in thickness by extensive smoke coming from a house fire.

Seattle Fire units were called to the 200 block of S.W. Roxbury St. at 10:40 a.m. to battle a fire in a single family residence.

Firefighters on scene said the fire started on the deck of the single story residence and then spread into the attic.

All occupants were able to get out safely and fire investigators are looking into the cause and damages.

We'll update when we hear more.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.