Greg McCorkle
Trevor Reed (center) gets congratulated by teammates after getting fouled while making a shot to put the Seahawks ahead in the third period 37-35. Reed finished with 14 points on the night.

SLIDESHOW: Second time's a charm for Chief Sealth beating West Seattle in regulation 66-54

Revenge can be sweet, especially when it doesn’t take overtime to do so in the second season matchup between Chief Sealth and West Seattle.

In their first encounter the Seahawks fell in overtime to the Wildcats 59-51 in a disappointing loss after controlling the ball for most of the game.

This time was different. The Seahawks came onto the court with a more aggressive style of play at both ends of the court. The sense of determination by Sealth could be felt by the home crowd at the Hawks Nest and by West Seattle.

The physical play by Sealth began to ware on the Wildcats who were harassed every time they tried to drive into the paint or fight for a rebound. The frustration felt by the Wildcats came to a head early in the fourth period when West Seattle’s DiAndre Jackson and Sealth’s Aaron Knox shared unkind words with each other after an unsuccessful rebound attempt by Jackson. There were no technical fouls assessed to either player because no foul language was used and no contact was made, but it was evident that the Wildcat’s frustration levels were rising.

The already raucous crowd at the Hawks Nest ramped up the noise when, with time running out in the first half and the score 29-28 West Seattle, Vidal Griffin II hit a three pointer at the buzzer to give the Seahawks a 31-29 advantage going into the locker room.

In the third period Sealth Center Trevor Reed began to take over under the basket, denying any easy runs to the hoop by the Wildcats, and gathering up every errant shot by West Seattle. Offensively Reed made key rebounds and converted those into points. The crowd erupted when Reed out muscled West Seattle’s Jimi Martin III for a rebound and made the shot. Reed was fouled by Martin and made his shot at the line to complete a three point play. Reed finished the night with 14 points.

While the game was kept close by the athletic play of West Seattle, and Wildcat Guard LaTrey Newsome’s 17 points, it wasn’t enough and the Seahawks began to slowly extend their lead- closing out the third period with a seven point advantage 45-38.

In the fourth the Seahawks defense took control and the offense added to their lead closing out the evening with a ten point margin at the final buzzer, 66-54.
Aaron Knox, Trevor reed, and Vidal Griffin II all scored in double digits.

This game could fall into that “making a statement” kind of contest. After losing the earlier match up with West Seattle in overtime the Seahawks made sure there would be no overtime scenario on this night.

The Seahawks are on the road for their next game, playing the Ingraham Rams on the 25th. Game time is 8pm.

West Seattle will be on the road as well, playing Nathan Hale. That game is also at 8pm.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.