Mayor McGinn taking walking tour of the Admiral District Sat. Mar. 23
Event will include conversation at Alki Mail & Dispatch
Mayor Mike McGinn will do a walking tour of the Admiral District on Satrurday March, 23 and talk win community members about area development, pedestrian improvements and more at various neighborhood stops.
12:50 pm Walk participants assemble in front of Safeway located at 2622 California Ave SW
1:00 pm Mayor arrives; introduction, walking tour begins
1:00 pm STOP 1: Admiral Safeway, 2622 California Ave SW
· Speaker: David Whiting & JoEllen Wang, neighbors adjacent to 3210 California Ave SW, Curt Baxtor, Safeway
· Topics covered: the Safeway/ Element 42 project is an example of a positive outcome of the design process: collaboration with neighbors leading to the inclusion of public amenities. Some concern with proposed 3210 development.
1:15 pm STOP 2: Walk through of Lafayette Elementary School:
· Speaker: Sean Reynolds, Lafayette PTA member
· Topics covered: The PTA is trying to make major improvements for an outdoor classroom adjacent to the playground.
1:25 pm STOP 3: Pedestrian crossing issues at 47th Av SW &SW Admiral
· Speakers: Don Wahl owner of Alki Mail & Dispatch (located at the intersection) and members of ANA
· Topics covered: Crossing difficulties at the intersection, measures SDOT has taken so far, and the neighborhood's request for a pedestrian signal and other traffic improvements at the intersection.
1:30 pm Coffee chat with walking tour participants at Alki Mail & Dispatch (espresso) at 4701 SW Admiral St.
2:00 pm End of event