Patrick Robinson
Seattle firefighters talk with a lifeguard at the Southwest Community Center Pool in West Seattle following a spill of sodium hypochlorite on May 7.

UPDATE: SW Community Center evacuated after pool chemical spill

Seattle firefighters evacuated the Southwest Community Center at 2801 S.W. Thistle on May 7 due to a pool chemical spill consisting of 150 to 300 gallons of 13 percent sodium hypochlorite.

There were no injuries.

The call for fire aid went out at 4:53 p.m. and a lifeguard on duty at the time said a "small check valve" failed, causing the spill.

Sodium hypochlorite is similar to household bleach.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.