With rain threatening at the SWAC a rainbow appears in the distance during the Metro League Track and Field Finals for 2013. The event saw some talented West Seattle athletes move on to the state finals.
SLIDESHOW: Track finals see some talented West Seattle Athletes move on to state
The big winners of the day were the private schools, but the public schools performed well with local West Seattle talent moving on to the state finals next week in Tacoma.
West Seattle Highs DiAndre’ Jackson 23.05 time placed him third in the boys’ 200 meter dash. Chief Sealth’s Vidal Griffen III’s triple jump distance of 42’8” and Lorna Sailiai’s 1kg discus throw of 98’ landed the two Seahawks a solid two/three in their respective events and will send them to Tacoma as well.
The West Seattle Herald spoke with Vidal Griffen III briefly after his high jump event and while he missed on 6’ he was happy he maintained his personal best of 5’10”. Vidal finished with a 5th place height of 5’10”. Griffen III is excited about next year when he’ll be attending Whitworth University in hopes of playing basketball and running track.
Hats off to all of the competitors that participated at the SWAC. Over the last two weeks these athletes gave everything for their schools and themselves.
Below are the stats for the athletes that made it through Friday’s finals from Chief Sealth and West Seattle. (Taken from athletic.net)
Boys 200 meter dash
3. Diandre Jackson 23.06 West Seattle
Boys 400 meter dash
8. Diandre Jackson 52.91 West Seattle
10. Eliot Nichols 53.44 Chief Sealth
Boys 4x400 Relay
10. Thomas Kovacs
Samias Tsegay 3:43.30 West Seattle
Girls 4x400 Relay
10. Ameena Bouzekto
Kenaia Neumann 5:07.73 Chief Sealth
Boys high Jump
5. Vidal Griffin III 5' 10.00 Chief Sealth
Girls Shot Put 4kg
7. Lorna Sailiai 31' 2.50 Chief Sealth
9. Lexi Loane 31' 2.50 West Seattle
Girls Discus 1 kg
3. Lorna Sailiai 98' 0.00 Chief Sealth
Boys Long Jump
7. Brennan Newquist 20' 1.00 West Seattle
Boys Triple Jump
2. Vidal Griffin III 42' 8.00 Chief Sealth
10. Brady Crane 39' 5.75 Chief Sealth
Girls long Jump
10. Natalie Fuller 15' 6.75 West Seattle
Girls Triple Jump
7. Lindsey Hage 32' 7.25 West Seattle
8. Natalie Fuller 32' 6.50 West Seattle
Photo gallery for this story