Police Blotter Week of 7-8-13

Divorce and a “stolen” TV
A woman living on Delridge Way S.W. called police on June 17 to report her 32-inch flatscreen TV had been stolen while she was at work. The victim told police she believed her soon-to-be ex-husband was to blame, based on the fact that he moved out several months ago and the two had been fighting back and forth over who gets the television, which they bought together. The responding officer told the victim Washington is a “community property state,” so although he would file the report as a burglary, it may not be charged as such if it is found the estranged husband was in possession. In community property states, most property acquired during marriage is automatically considered jointly owned under the law. The ex-couple was not yet legally divorced.

Melee on the bus
On June 24 a young woman was heading home on a Metro bus near the 9000 block of 20th Ave. S.W. when a woman she was sitting next to started calling her “degrading names” and threatened to beat her up once she got off the bus. The aggressor then spit in the victim’s face and the two started fighting. Sometime during the rolling melee the victim’s cell phone fell out of her pocket. The aggressor and her friend got off the bus shortly thereafter, and the victim noticed her cell phone was missing. Metro told police they would look at surveillance tape and forward any valuable evidence along. The victim suffered a bruised left eye, but declined medical attention.

10 hours later, victim reports being shot
According to Seattle Police, gang detectives are investigating a possible High Point neighborhood shooting in the early morning hours of June 28 after a man walked into an Auburn hospital 10 hours later, claiming he was shot in the leg. Around 1 a.m., police received reports of gunshots near the intersection of Lanham Place S.W. and S.W. Morgan St. Police investigated, but were unable to find a victim or suspect. Around 11 a.m. that morning, a man in his 30's walked into the Auburn hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound to his leg, claiming he was shot in West Seattle. SPD said they are investigating the claim, trying to figure out why it took him so long to get to the hospital, and why he never called police after getting shot.

Teens busted busting into schools
Two teenagers, ages 14 and 15, were arrested on June 27 after they were caught red-handed burglarizing Highland Park Elementary by police. According to the Seattle Police Department, the teens had smashed a window to gain access to the building shortly before 11 p.m. Police were alerted and responded to the elementary with their K-9 units and found the young crooks hiding under some playground equipment. Police recovered, "a Nook e-reader, a CD player, camera, backpack, cellphones, phone charger, microphones, walkie talkies and speakers, all stolen from inside the school." One of the suspects then told police he had burglarized Sanislo Elementary earlier in the evening. The juveniles were arrested and booked at the Youth Service Center before being released to their parents custody, for what was likely a not-very-fun car ride home.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.