3 charged in West Seattle pellet gun robberies

Three young men, ages 19 to 21, are each facing two counts of first degree robbery and one count of first degree attempted robbery for their alleged actions on the night of Aug. 21.

According to King County Prosecutor’s Office charging documents, Hassan Ibrahim Abdirizak, Najib Ali Aden and Abdulkadir A Ahmed were the men allegedly behind a robbery spree that lasted 90 minutes, striking first in South Seattle before heading to West Seattle’s Fauntleroy and Arbor Heights neighborhoods for two more stickups involving a pellet gun that mimicked a real handgun.

There may be more. Court documents state, after their arrests, the defendants “also admitted to being involved in a number of other robberies that are still under investigation. Additional charges are likely.”

SPD Detective Tom Conrad’s case investigation report went into detail on how the night allegedly unfolded. Conrad said it started at 10 p.m. on the 6700 block of Beacon Ave. S. when Aden allegedly pulled out the pellet gun and put it to a female suspect’s head while obscuring his own face with a blue bandana. He demanded her cell phone and the victim ran away. He allegedly pursued, tackled and eventually took her phone.

Next, police said the crew drove to West Seattle near the Fauntleroy ferry docks. There, a man was walking down the street shortly after 11 p.m., talking on his phone, when Ahmed allegedly approached and put the gun to his chest before striking him on the right ear with the firearm. The victim dropped to his knees and Ahmed ran off without taking any property, according to Conrad’s report.

In their final alleged strong-arm robbery before police tracked them down in a “high risk” stop, Conrad wrote that around 11:30 p.m. Ahmed approached a female victim at 35th Ave. S.W. And S.W. 104th St. in Arbor Heights and stole her purse, brandishing the pellet gun and pointed it at her forehead.

Police responded with a vehicle description in hand and stopped the defendants at S.W. 98th St. and 35th Ave. S.W. Inside, they found the black pellet gun, a woman’s purse, a blue bandana and several cell phones. The purse-theft victim identified Ahmed as her alleged robber during a show up.

According to court papers, Aden and Ahmed admitted to their involvement in the robberies and Abdirizak admitted to being the driver.

Prosecutors recommended bail of $250,000 for each defendant. While Ahmed and Abdirizak have no known criminal history, the court stated Aden was on a deferred sentence for theft and harassment from a June 2013 incident.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.