Patrick Robinson
A woman, whose young son caused a fire in her home by playing with a lighter and igniting a curtain had to wait outside in the rain as Seattle Firefighters mopped up after putting out the fire.

Boy with lighter causes fire on Avalon Way S.W.

A young woman, her boyfriend and her son were displaced, at least temporarily Jan. 2 when the boy accidentally lit a curtain and bed on fire while playing with a lighter. The fire happened about 5:40pm in the 3000 block of Avalon Way S.W.

"When he told me there was a fire he was hysterical,'Mommy, Mommy there's a fire! There's a fire!' So I dropped everything i was doing and I ran but I fell down and when I got up I went to the bedroom and the curtain was on fire and I saw patches of the bed on fire so I grabbed the curtain and I threw it outside and I heard a knock on the door and I opened it and told everybody 'There's a fire!' and I ran to the kitchen to get some water to put it out but it was bigger when I went back in so I called 911."

The curtain, bed, and window frame were damaged but there were no injuries.

Traffic on Avalon Way was blocked for about an hour as crews responded and checked for any hot spots or other damage.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.