School/Program Choice Open Enrollment for 2014-15 starts Feb. 24

Student assignment changes can be submitted through March 7

information from Seattle Public Schools

Seattle Public Schools families who want to request a different school or program assignment for the 2014-15 school year should submit a “choice application” during Open Enrollment, which runs from Feb. 24-March 7, 2014.

Open Enrollment applies only to those families wanting their student to attend a different school or program – or to those who did not enroll their soon-to-be-kindergartener (or other new student) during the early enrollment process. Parents of students who are already attending Seattle Public Schools or participated in early enrollment will receive a letter right before Open Enrollment starts with next year’s assignment.

“While our Student Assignment Plan focuses on placing students in their attendance area school, it also provides opportunities for families to request a different school or program for their student, such as Montessori, International, Spectrum or APP,” said Faauu Manu, John Stanford Center for Educational Excellence (JSCEE) Service Center Manager.

Students don’t need to participate in Open Enrollment unless a change of school or program is desired. All students who want to enroll in a different school/program must submit a school choice application, which will be available from Feb. 24-March 7, 2014. All forms must be returned either in person or online to Seattle Public Schools by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 7, 2014.

If there are more applicants than seats available for a particular school, program and/or grade, then certain tiebreakers are used to determine which students are selected. If there is not a seat available for an applicant, then that student is placed on a waiting list and contacted if space becomes available.

Students who do not apply during Choice Open Enrollment may still submit a choice application later. However, fewer seats will be available after Open Enrollment.

After Sept. 30, all waitlists dissolve and school transfers are not permitted, with few exceptions. (Exceptions may include a change of address, or if a student requires English Language Learner or Special Education services not available at his or her current school.
For more information on enrollment services, visit

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.