Work is now underway on Genesee Street SW on traction improvements to the notably steep grade. The same kind of work is being done on Charlestown Street SW.
UPDATE: Traction improvements coming to Genesee and Charlestown Streets next week
UPDATE Aug 13 11:30am
Work is now underway on Genesee Street SW just east of Avalon Way SW on a grade that is very steep. SDOT crews are making traction improvements to the road.
SDOT will conduct what they call "shot blasting" on Aug 12 -13 to make traction improvements at two locations in West Seattle next week. Shot blasting will propel a high-speed stream of abrasive material at the street surface to roughen it and create a better grip for vehicles. Dates are subject to change.
Flaggers will be on site at road closures to provide local access and guidance. This work will be completed in a single weekday at each location and will take place between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. The following describes the scheduled roadway closures:
Aug. 12: SW Charlestown Street between 49th Avenue SW and California Avenue SW (local access only)
· Work zone is SW Charlestown Street between 47th Avenue SW and 45th Avenue SW
· Eastbound traffic detoured via 49th Avenue SW, SW Admiral Way, and California Avenue SW
· Westbound traffic detoured via California Avenue SW, SW Admiral Way, and 49th Avenue SW
Aug. 13: SW Genesee Street between SW Avalon Way and Delridge Way SW (local access only)
· Work zone is SW Genesee Street between SW Avalon Way and 30th Avenue SW
· Eastbound traffic detoured via SW Avalon Way, SW Yancy Street, 28th Avenue SW, SW Andover Street, and Delridge Way SW
· Westbound traffic detoured via Delridge Way SW, SW Andover Street, 28th Avenue SW, SW Yancy Street, and SW Avalon Way