Patrick Robinson
Firefighters use large squeegees to sweep water from the floor where a small kitchen fire had set off the sprinkler system in the building. No injuries were reported. Only the Facility Manager was in the building at the time of the fire.

Small kitchen fire at Neighborhood House floods the building

A small kitchen fire around 7 am in the Highpoint Neighborhood House Community Center at 6400 Sylvan Way SW resulted in the setting off the sprinkler system in the building. The fire produced a lot of smoke and the sprinklers flooded the building's first floor.

The fire was out but firefighters were left with the task of ventilating the building and trying to clear the majority of the water from the floor.

Facilities Manager Daniel Casey said he was on the third floor of the building, well away from the kitchen area when the sprinkler system kicked into action. No one else was in the building.

The exact cause of the fire and a full damage estimate was not immediately available.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.