SWSHS
West Seattle Junction

Massive West Seattle Junction Historical Survey final report is released: What makes The Junction special?

Comprehensive survey examines West Seattle’s historical business district for landmark potential, features views of building owners and the public

information from the Southwest Seattle Historical Society

The final report of the West Seattle Junction Historical Survey (see links below), entitled “What makes the West Seattle Junction special?,” was released at a press conference on Wednesday, March 2, 2016, at Husky Deli.

The survey teamed the historical society (the survey’s fiscal agent) with the Southwest District Council and West Seattle Junction Association, and it was supported by the Junction Neighborhood Organization and ArtsWest.

The final report has three parts:
Part One is a survey of the 58 buildings in The Junction that are at least 40 years old. It was conducted by architectural historian Mimi Sheridan of the Sheridan Consulting Group and was supported by a $10,000 grant from 4Culture. This part provides a historical overview of The Junction and evaluates whether buildings appear eligible for designation as Seattle landmarks. Two that were so identified are the Campbell Building (1918) and Hamm Building (1926). Six others also were so identified, pending further research: the Hotwire/dental complex (1910), the Courtesy Accounting building (1947), the J.F. Henry building (1908), the former J.C. Penney building (1926), the Curious Kidstuff building (1928) and the Technical Analysis building (1961).

Part Two consists of summaries of interviews with nine Junction building owners: ArtsWest, Steve Athan, Jack Calvo, Leon Capelouto, Jerry Costacos, Tom Henry, John and Lisa Kennan-Meyer, Jack Menashe and Jack Miller. The owners address the history of their buildings, what they love about their buildings, what makes The Junction special and what about The Junction should be preserved.

Part Three is the summation of a public survey conducted in summer 2015. More than 260 people identified their favorite Junction buildings, what they think makes The Junction special and what about The Junction should be preserved.

The complete survey report is available in a limited number of printed copies and online at the bottom of this page. In the introduction to the report, the survey team states, “We trust that the information and insights in this report will be useful for a variety of audiences for many years to come.”

West Seattle’s main business district got its name immediately prior to the peninsula’s annexation to Seattle in 1907, when the West Seattle and Fauntleroy streetcar lines converged at a transfer point at California Avenue and Alaska Street, forming “The Junction.”

Here is the complete West Seattle Junction Historical Survey report. It totals 104 pages, and its size is 48MB.
You also can access individual parts of the report:
Introduction, three pages, 2MB.
Part One, by architectural historian Mimi Sheridan, plus appendices, 52 pages, 45MB.

Part Two, summaries of building-owner interviews, 27 pages, 700KB.

Part Three, the public survey, 22 pages, 300KB.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.