Patrick Robinson
Firefighters converged on a home in flames at 9829 44th Ave. SW. in West Seattle where a woman was trapped upstairs bathroom by the fire.

Fire destroys house on 44th SW; Disabled woman trapped in bathroom dies

A fire at 9829 44th SW consumed a house and trapped a 51 year old disabled woman in an upstairs bathroom. Her boyfriend and son escaped and, according to them, they were downstairs in a garage working on furniture. The woman was in an upstairs bathroom and was unable to get out and they were unable to reach her.

They said they could hear her banging on the wall for help.

Seattle Fire Department confirmed she did not survive. They reported they broke through two walls in an effort to reach her but did not get there in time.

Multiple units responded and doused the flames but could not get in since the fire was too intense and pushed them back. Power lines were down and power to the neighborhood has been cut off by City Light but should be restored in the next few hours as investigators wrap up the scene.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.