Wilson Eugene Dillon, 79, died July 17, 2006 in Seattle, WA. He was born January 16, 1927 in Dewitt, AR. to Jessie (Stilley) and Homer Dillon and was raised in Dewitt.

He is survived by his loving wife Joyce, treasured father of Nanette M. Mead (Steve); and Shawn A Dillon. Loving grandfather to Christina M. Mead and eight foster children; Eldest brother of Mavis (deceased); Truyln; MaeDale; Odell; Margaret; Doan (deceased); mother Jessie and father Homer (both deceased).

January, 1945, Wilson enlisted in the Navy and served on the USS Pennsylvania as a Seaman First Class from February 6, 1945 through January 23, 1946. On August 12, 1945, the "ship was organizing to invade Japan, but when torpedoed, the orders were changed." As the USS Pennsylvania was decommissioned 8/29/46, Wilson transferred to the USS War Hawk where he served his remaining service time until August 2, 1946.

One of Wilson's shipmates suggested Wilson accompany him to Southgate Roller Rink in White Center in 1945. Wilson admitted to being a "poor skater" and could only stop by "running into the wall." Wilson met his future wife Joyce at the rink that day. When asked if he caught Joyce's eye or she his, he replied, "We caught each other's eye."

Wilson and Joyce married Sept 4, 1948 and resided in White Center. In 1950, they bought their first house in West Seattle, which has been home for 56 years. As family was important to Wilson, he worked long hours to provide while attending and graduating from high school in 1968. He felt education and knowledge were important and was always reading for self-improvement or writing news-filled letters to family. Wilson's hobbies included: fixing old houses, fishing, picking fruit, and he was merciless at playing pinochle and checkers. He loved the Grand O' Opre and had his favorite country music singers. Seattle baseball was also a favorite of his. His tough work ethic instilled in his childhood carried on through life and passed on to his children. "Don't waste time sleeping when you could be up working, painting, or cleaning."

In August 1946, Wilson began his career with Bethlehem Steel in West Seattle. Over the years, Wilson was an assistant roller for 10 years, sub roller and crane operator. Although Bethlehem Steel changed ownership to Seattle Steel, Wilson continued working until his retirement on April 23, 1987.

Wilson was diagnosed with an inoperable medical condition in Sept. 1990. In January 1995, physicians told Wilson to get his affairs in order because he had 30 days to live. In March 1995, Wilson underwent experimental surgery. The prognosis from the medical community was a life expectancy of two weeks to two years. With extremely difficult and tenacious work, patience and family support, Wilson relearned to hold his head up, sit up, talk, stand and finally walk. In the subsequent years, Wilson accepted life's ups and downs of his handicaps as one of life's many challenges with a positive attitude. He wanted to do as much as he could for himself.

From April 2001 until his death, Wilson resided at Mt. St. Vincent in West Seattle where he enjoyed many activities including playing bingo, going on various day trips, reading, interacting with the kids from the onsite day care, and potting plants. Wilson always enjoyed the Tuesday men's luncheon. He was surprised to learn that he also enjoyed the art classes.

A memorial service will be held August 23, 2006 at 1:30 pm at Providence Mt. St. Vincent, 4831 35th Ave. SW., Seattle, WA 98126-2799.

The family wishes to thank Mt. St. Vincent for the wonderful care. Memorials in his loving memory can be sent to the local Stroke Foundation, the American Cancer Society,

Providence Mt. St. Vincent, or Peace Lutheran Church, 8316 - 39th Ave S.W. Seattle, WA.

Please sign our Guest book at www.Howden-Kennedy.com