Arthur Louis Larson

Arthur Larson passed away peacefully on December 7, 2007 in his home at the age of 82 after a brief hospitalization for treatment of pneumonia. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 59 years, Jessie Leah Larson, on October 9th of this year. Arthur is survived by three sons John (Ana), James (Marilyn) and Todd (Maureen), three grandchildren Todd, Jr., Brianna and Caitlin, niece Marianne Rouse, nephew Edward Reichenback, Jr. and a large extended family including his personal caregiver LaNisha McCoy.

Growing up during the great depression years in a broken family where his father had sporadic employment as a longshoreman, Arthur attended many different Seattle Elementary and Junior High Schools before attending West Seattle High School. Arthur loved to joke that it was a miracle he survived to adulthood given his largely unsupervised youth from one end of the city to the other. The experience did produce an abundance of self reliance and leadership qualities. After graduation he served in the US Army during WWII in the South Pacific and then returned to West Seattle where he married, raised three sons, and worked 43 years for Bethlehem Steel as a rolling mill operator. Arthur was truly a force of nature who seemed to balance family, work and many diverse interests in an effortless manner with even disposition. He loved to bowl, golf, water ski, play bridge, devoured anything in print, mastered every building skill from pouring a foundation to making a cabinet, coached athletic teams, chased trout, climbed mountains and just kept going from one project to the next. Arthur always made time to help family and friends with whatever problem they faced.

The final years of Arthur's life were spent dealing with brain injuries that resulted from two serious strokes in 1991 and 1996. The struggle to recover from these injuries was a battle that Art fought to the end with civility, inner strength and humor. He managed to defy the medical experts on more than one occasion with significant improvements being made years after his initial injury. His quiet dignity was an inspiration and will be missed by family and friends.

Arthur was a 30 year member of People's Memorial Association and elected to make his final arrangements for cremation. A private memorial service for family and friends to celebrate Arthur's life will be held at a future date.